Manifesting the Gospel in our Lives
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Titus 2:11–2:15
Intro and Recap
Paideia, Education and Training, Going to School…
Review Manifesting The Gospel Through the Household
Motivation and power comes from where?
Titus 2:11–15 (ESV)
11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people,
- The Grace of God
- 1st Epiphany - Epiphany of Grace
- Salvation for All People?
12 training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age,
10But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me.
1 Corinthians 15:10 (ESV)
Grace Training—The Paideia of Grace
- Say No!
- Say Yes!
When? Now, Where we are
13 waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ,
- Active waiting/receiving/welcoming
- Blessed Hope, Not Freaking Out Hope
14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works
Gave himself—FOR—substitution and good news
- He died in our place – Romans 5:8
- He took our penalty – Romans 6:23
- He took away our sin – John 1:29, Hebrews 10
- He absorbed God’s just wrath against us He gives us a new life 1 John 4:10, Romans 6:4
- He gives us his righteousness- 2 Corinthians 5:21
Redeem, Transform and Send
Sent to Manifest
15 Declare these things; exhort and rebuke with all authority. Let no one disregard you.
- Legalism only says NO! License only says YES! How is the love of God shown to us by calling us to say NO to certain things and YES to others?
- Have you been in communities/contexts where it was all NO!!!! How did this work out for you?
- Do you ever find yourself living as if God is not real? Be honest?
- Are passions in you ever out of control? How does this lead us to dishonor other people? Dishonor God?
- Why is understanding the grace of God in Christ a better “teacher/trainer” than education and will power alone?
- How can we grow in being a community of good works?
- Read Titus Chapter 3 for next week