Manifesting the Gospel in the World
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Titus 3:1–3:8
A Few Concepts
Identity + Posture → Reputation
Titus So Far
Good Works = Gospel Transformation Going Public
Our Public Posture — Titus 3:1–2
Our Posture with Authority
Our Posture with Everyone
Why this Posture? Titus 3:3
Romans 6:23, Isaiah 54:6
If the church is not living out of gospel identity and its posture is one of self-righteousness and arrogance with people outside of the church…
Question: WHAT DO YOU THINK THE CHURCH’S REPUTATION WILL BE?
But God — Titus 3:4-7
What God Does
- He saved us
- Not by works done in righteousness
The Means – How?
It is a mischievous thing that we miserable, sinful wretches will upbraid [scold, criticize, find fault with] God, and hit him in the teeth with our works, and think thereby to be justified before him; but God will not allow it.
Martin Luther, OF JUSTIFICATION
Salvation is a gift of the Father’s mercy, accomplished by Jesus Christ on the Cross, Applied by the Holy Spirit, justifying us by grace and making us new people.
Insisting on “These Things”
Our "Body" Language
Community Meditation Questions
- Do you think the church has a reputation problem in our culture? Yes or No? Why or Why Not?
- Jesus’ identity was God incarnate and his posture towards the world was perfect love and humility. He was still crucified by the world. What does this show us? Yet how can we be an offense with our posture and clutter someone's view of the cross?
- Titus 3 has some of the richest theology of salvation in the Bible. Discuss the concepts of Regeneration, Renewal, Justification and being Heirs to eternal life.
- What difference does it make to your own posture in the world to know that “God saved us” by grace and not because of our own works of righteousness?
- What can we do to work on our “Body Language” as the family and community of Jacob’s Well?