Core Rhythms - The Lord's Table
Topic: Topical Scripture: Luke 22:13–22:20
The Lord’s Table
- What Happens at this Table (are we getting saved by God through it, or celebrating God’s salvation in it)
- What is Done for Us at this Table (are we receiving a sacrifice made for us now or proclaiming the one sacrifice made by Jesus)
- What is consumed by us at this Table (body and blood or bread and wine)
- Spiritual Real Presence
It has many names – all appropriate
- Eucharist (Greek word for giving thanks)
- The Lord’s Table
- Breaking of Bread
- The Lord’s Supper
Many times misunderstood
Why we observe this meal - The Biblical Teaching
Jesus Ordained The Meal – Matthew 26:27–29; Luke 22:17–20
Key Observations: The use of Bread and Wine to be Body and Blood, It is a Covenantal meal whereby Jesus' blood seals the promise. It is a remembrance.
Early Christian Observance—Acts 2:42; Acts 20:7
Key Observations: It was observed together and on the first day of the week
The Apostles Teaching – 1 Corinthians 10:14–17; 1 Corinthians 11:23–26; Revelation 3:19–20
Key Observations: It is a participation/fellowship with JESUS and a PROCLAMATION of what he has done for his people. It is eating with Jesus in a place of fellowship and repentance.
Summary of Our Observations
- It is a meal we observe together on the first day of the week...Sunday
- It is a meal that celebrates God’s faithfulness in the New Covenant
- It is a meal that is a remembrance and proclamation of the gospel
- It is a participation with Jesus himself where he works in our lives
Our Observance At Jacob’s Well
Who should come?
What we do?
- Come clean - Confess and Repent
- Come together - Reconnect and Reconcile with one another
- Come in the gospel – Reflect and Remember Jesus work on the cross
- Come thankful and rejoicing – Worship and Rejoice
- Come to receive from Jesus – Receive Grace from Jesus
- Did you grow up in a Christian tradition where communion was central or did it seem marginalized and not very important?
- In the past how have you understood communion? What is happening there?
- Read through the Core Rhythms Application Card and discuss as a community the various ways we can come to the table as a church. How can you better use the time at the table each week at Jacob’s Well?
- What difference does a theology of spiritual real presence make from a theology of mere memorialism? See junk drawer essay online for a short discussion of these two views.