Old School - An Overview of the Old Testament
Topic: Biblical Scripture: Luke 23:44–24:49
A Definition: Anything that is from an earlier era (sometimes referred to as back in the day) and looked upon with high regard or respect. Can be used to refer to music, clothing, language, or anything really - The Urban Dictionary
The Old Testament
The literature of the Old Testament
- Jesus – Law, Prophets and Psalms
- The Law
- Historical Books
- The Psalms
- Wisdom Literature
- Major Prophets
- The Minor Prophets
Some profound questions:
- Who is God? His Character and His Works
- Who are we as the People of God?
- What are the purposes of God?
- Where is life and history going?
- Is there a bigger story that makes sense of my life?
On Chuck Taylors - Old School, Always Relevant
Our Path This Summer
- We Will Not – We will not cover everything in the Old Testament, will not hit everything that is important to cover…we have a lifetime for such study as will be engaged together as the community of God’s people.
- We Will Go After...
- Introduce some of the types of literature in the Old Testament (Narrative, Wisdom, Poetry, Prophetic writings)
- Introduce the big redemptive movements – how God is unfolding his plan and purpose in time
- Show the centrality of Jesus in the Old as well as the New Testament
The Bible as a Unified Whole
- In its drama - Tragedy and a hero story
- In its unfolding - History is going somewhere, guided by a someone
- In its subject - God’s Redemption of people and all things through Jesus
Seeing the Unity in the Bible
The New Testament on the Old Testament
- An Example for us – 1 Corinthians 10
- A Foretelling – Promise/Fulfillment – 1 Peter 1
- Jesus the Christ – Luke 24
Seeing Jesus only through the lens of the New Testament is like watching your favorite movie on a 13 inch fat-panel TV. Accurate, true and you get the real deal.
Seeing Jesus through the lens of Old and New Testament is much more like seeing the same film in full High Def and surround sound...much fuller experience
- How much of the Old Testament are you familiar with? Read some? All? None?
- Which parts of it have you been drawn to in the past? What parts have seemed strange or unclear?
- Have you ever thought of the Old Testament as writings teaching us about Jesus?
- Discuss the connected, unfolding nature of the biblical covenants. How can seeing the big picture of God’s unfolding plan in all of history boost your faith today?
- If God makes and fulfills his promises what does this mean for our future hope?
More in Old School - OT Overview
August 29, 2010Old School - Redemption Through Messiah
August 22, 2010Old School - Prophets - Speaking in and Through Exile
August 15, 2010Old School - Prophets - Judgment and Exile