Old School - Wisdom in Suffering
Topic: Biblical Scripture: Job 1:20–1:22
Old School - Our Goals
- To Intro OT Literature
- See the Wave of Redemption
- HD Jesus
The Matter of Suffering
How Long O Lord?
- Psalm 13:1 How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me?
- Psalm 35: 17 How long, O Lord, will you look on? Rescue me from their destruction, my precious life from the lions!
- Psalm 79:5 How long, O Lord? Will you be angry forever? Will your jealousy burn like fire?
- Habakkuk 1:2 O Lord, how long shall I cry for help, and you will not hear? Or cry to you “Violence!” and you will not save?
- Revelation 6:10 They cried out with a loud voice, “O Sovereign Lord, holy and true, how long before you will judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?”
- Pantheism - Suffering is illusory
- Atheism - God is not real
- Theism - Holding God and Suffering in tension
All fall short...
The Book of Job
Make up of the Book
- Chapters 1 and 2, Narrative Background
- Chapter 3 through 37 – Speeches and Dialogues with Job, His Friends
- Chapters 38-41 – Dialogue with God
- 42 – Job Restored
What We Learn from Job
1. We must not Separate God from Suffering
2. We do not know the Whole Story
The Poetic Dialgoues - They shared true things, but did not speak truthfully about Job's situation.
3. We can Trust God in our Suffering
Job 2:9, 10
4. God is GOD We are NOT
Responding to Suffering
Our Own Suffering
In Serving Others
- Weep with those who weep
- Let others borrow your faith
- Show patience with others
- Don’t go away, but don’t suffocate
- Don’t over respond to irrationality, Job 3 (I wish I was never born)
- Hold on to hope together, your presence will show this
- Overcome evil with good
Jesus – Immanuel, The Suffering God
1 Peter 2:21-25, Matthew 11:25-30
In the Gospel God becomes human and a human who suffers on our behalf. In Jesus God redeems the world not in spite of suffering but through his own...
- When you suffer and have the thought that God does not understand…HE DOES
- When you wonder if all the wrong will ever be made right…IT WILL
- When you scream at the horrors of sin, evil and suffering…KNOW THAT HE IS THE SAVING GOD
Community Meditation Suffering
- Have you read the book of Job? If not, spend some time reading there this week.
- How have you dealt with your own pain and suffering in the past? Currently?
- Do you tend to go to God or drift away from God when you go through various trials? How does community of Jesus help? Not help?
- Why do you think some want to think of God as being unable to help in the face of suffering?
- How can we be helpful to others who suffer? How were Job’s wife and friends examples for us?
- Why do you think Christians like to give quick and easy answers to those who are in pain? Read Romans 12:12-21 and discuss how this passage counsels us in suffering?
More in Old School - OT Overview
August 29, 2010Old School - Redemption Through Messiah
August 22, 2010Old School - Prophets - Speaking in and Through Exile
August 15, 2010Old School - Prophets - Judgment and Exile