Old School - Wisdom and Love
August 1, 2010 Speaker: Reid S. Monaghan Series: Old School - OT Overview
Topic: Biblical Scripture: Song of Solomon 4:1–5:1
Riding the Wave with Wisdom
What’ s Love Got to Do with it?
human LOVE not EQUAL divine LOVE...but it is Analogous
The Song of Songs
The Title of the Book
History of Interpretation
- An Allegory?
- A Drama with Unity?
- Anthology of Love Poems?
Love and Longing in the Song of Songs
Love that is committed
Song of Songs 5:16; 8:6,7
Love that has physical attraction
- Hair, Eyes, Teeth
- Whole Body
What He Said, Song of Solomon 7:1-9
What She Said, Song of Solomon 5:10-16
Love that is full of sexual desire
- Imagery in the Song: Mandrakes, Raisins, Pomegranates and Momma’s House
- Love Consummated, Song of Solomon chapters 4/5 and 8
Marriage and Sexuality
Proverbs 5, Song of Songs 2:7, 3:5, 8:4, 1 Corinthians 7
Walls and Doors
We Must Not Mind a little Typology
Paul gives us permission…Ephesians 5:31-33
31 “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” 32 This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. 33 However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.
The Love of God is...
In Jesus we see that
- Covenantal, we see God in Jesus say to his people, I GIVE MY LIFE FOR YOU
- Committed, we see God in Jesus say to his people, I WILL NEVER LEAVE YOUR OR FORSAKE YOU (Hebrews 13:5)
- Intense, we see God in Jesus say to his people, the intensity of sexuality is a small picture of the intensity I have for my people, the PLEASURE of knowing me and the pleasure of WORSHIP is greater than the delights of earth.
- Holy, we see God in Jesus say to his people, MY LOVE IS PURE and SELF GIVING for your good
- Faithful, we see God in Jesus say to his people, I AM FAITHFUL even when YOUR ARE ADULTEROUS WHORES
The book of Hosea...JESUS marries and redeems WHORES and washes them clean and presents them to his FATHER as a holy BRIDE for eternity.
- God’s love is real for sinners
- If you feel unworthy, unclean and far from God, his love is real towards you
- Repentance/Faith, we become his BRIDE
More in Old School - OT Overview
August 29, 2010Old School - Redemption Through Messiah
August 22, 2010Old School - Prophets - Speaking in and Through Exile
August 15, 2010Old School - Prophets - Judgment and Exile