The Reality of New Kingdoms
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Colossians 1:3–1:14
To put it very simply, the Kingdom of Jesus is the rule and reign of Jesus. It is his exercised rule or sovereignty, not the [geographical] realm in which it is implemented.
Adopted from George Ladd, The Gospel of the Kingdom; Scriptural Studies in the Kingdom of God. Grand Rapids, Mich.,: Eerdmans, 1959 20.
Kings and Kingdoms
Kingdom Now, Not Yet
Not Yet—Revelation 11:15, Handel's Messiah
“inaugurated” OR “partially realized” eschatology
Present Realities (verses 3-8)
Faith, Love and Hope
- A WORD of TRUTH
- A Word that COMES TO US
- It is a FRUIT BEARING MESSAGE
- It GROWS in people, communities and localities
- It is a message that is HEARD and UNDERSTOOD
- Centered on the GRACE of GOD
- Conveyed by and LEARNED from a HUMAN BEING
Longing and Becoming (verses 8-12a)
Knowing and “walking”
- Why do we need strength and power from GOD?
- Why do we need endurance and patience with joy? Not being quitters?
- Why do we need hearts of gratitude and not complaining?
Based Upon the Work of God in Jesus Chirst (12b-14)
Two Words - qualified and delivered
Two Kingdoms - darkness and of King Jesus
Redemption in Jesus
Community Meditation Questions
- If you are a Christian you live under the RULE and REIGN of Jesus as your King; you are a part of his Kingdom right now. Read Matthew 11:25-30 and discuss the character of Jesus and his leadership.
- Why is prayer such a gift for citizens of Jesus’s Kingdom?
- How is your level of hope today? Where is your hope grounded? Here is a good test—what sort of things cause to feel hopeless or lose hope?
- Discuss the connections between faith in Christ, love for one another and hope in the gospel.
- Read the prayer in Colossians 1:9-12. Which of these do you feel you need more of today? Strengthening? Endurance and patience? With joy, Gratitude? Share specifically why and pray for one another along these lines.
- Read and meditate upon Colossians 1:15-23 during the week
More in Subversion - Colossians
April 10, 2011Gospel, Community, Mission
April 3, 2011Live it Together - Marriage, Family and Labor in the Gospel
March 27, 2011Put it On