Live it Together - Marriage, Family and Labor in the Gospel
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Colossians 3:18–4:1
Subversion so far...
- Different LIVES
New Team - Life in Community
The Ancient Household
The Household Builds the Community
Live it Together—Colossians 3:18-4:1
Marriage, Wives and Husbands (3:18, 19)
Love and Respect
- Husbands (Dragons and New Unis)
- Wives (Dragons and New Unis)
Family, Parents and Kids (3:20, 21)
Work, Servants and Masters (3:22-4:1)
Motivation in our Work
- The Dance Before People?
- Joyful Service to our King?
Motivation in fair/just Authority
- Justice of God
- We are Under Authority
Community and Culture
Community Meditation Questions
- Some Assignments
- For those who are married: If you are married set aside an hour in the next week or two just to talk with your spouse and ask “How are we doing?” Kindly share what is hopeful and helpful as well as hurtful and dragon-like in your relationship. Just listen and don’t interrupt the other. Be patient and listen: What does God want you to hear from your spouse?
- For those who are Dads: Ask your kids this question without any introduction: “Kids, how could I be a better Daddy for you?” Just listen, don’t debate or shape the conversation etc. Just listen prayerfully.
- The focus of the gospel is not a good marriage and family. The gospel is about Jesus saving people and transforming all of life. Your spouse and kids are not to be worshipped. We worship together and live out Jesus’ mission with them. Discuss why this distinction is so important.
- Are you doing your work as if it is an act of worship to Jesus? How is your attitude on the job? Re-read Colossians 3:23, 24. What is your reward in any and every bit of work you do?
- If you are an employer or in management, how do you treat those who work for you? Does God care about this?