Our Trust and Confidence in God
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Psalm 61:1–61:8
RECAP & INTRO: BORN TO RUN
- Running to Idols
- Running to God - Psalm 61
(61:1-2b) ARE WE ALONE? GOD HEARS.
- Distanced Despair
“...the end of the earth...when my heart is faint…”
- X-Rays Aren’t Enough
“...hear my cry...listen to my prayer…I call to You...”
We must experience God, not merely examine Him.
(61:2c) WHERE ARE WE GOING? GOD LEADS.
“...the rock that is higher than I…”
(61:3-5) WILL WE SURVIVE? GOD PROTECTS.
- Staying Current with History
“...refuge….strong tower….tent…shelter of your wings…”
- Commitment & Confidence
“...you have heard my vows…you have given me the heritage...”
(61:6-7) DID IT (WE) MATTER? GOD PRESERVES.
- Immediate & Ultimate Hope
“...prolong the life of the king...may he be enthroned forever before God…”
- The Fortress that Freaked Out
Matt 26:36-46; 27:46
(61:8) HOW DO WE RUN IN RESPONSE?
BECOME “REFUGE & SHELTER-LIKE.”
- Find Joy by Following Jesus in Mission
“...sing your praises...perform my vows…day after day…”
Freaking Out in Missional Communities
- Are you experiencing or merely examining Jesus as your fortress? Start spending some regular time in prayer, bringing to Him your present fear, worry, and anxiety and receiving from Him the grace to walk with renewed trust and confidence.
- Acquaint/reacquaint yourselves with your history with God and the Gospel. Encourage each other by letting His past faithfulness fuel present peace and future hope.
- Are there people around you that are freaking out? Follow Jesus, walk in the Spirit, and bring the refuge and shelter of Christ to bear on their lives.
- If you haven’t already added it to your summer reading list, pick up Running Scared: Fear, Worry, & the God of Rest by Ed Welch. You'll find it helpful.