Ball Game? What of Death and Eternity?
Topic: Biblical Scripture: Ecclesiastes 7:1–7:6
Recap and Review
The Reality of Mortality
James 4:13-16; Psalm 90:12
The Knowledge of Eternity
We face the CERTAINTY of Death and our INTUITION of Eternity
Facing the Grave
- Avoid it
- Deny it
- Consumed by it
On Funerals and Parties Ecclesiastes 7:1-6
God in the House of Mourning
The Final Word on the Grave
Christ’s victory over the Curse will not be partial. Death will not just limp away wounded. It will be annihilated, utterly destroyed: “[God] will destroy the shroud that enfolds all peoples, the sheet that covers all nations; he will swallow up death forever. The Sovereign Lord will wipe away the tears from all faces; he will remove the disgrace of his people from all the earth” (Isaiah 25:7-8). Randy Alcorn, Heaven, 105.
Community Meditation Questions
Growing in knowledge
- How often do you contemplate your own death? How can the teaching in Ecclesiastes 7:1-6 help us to neither be morbid or foolish about our lives in light of death?
- How can the conscious knowledge of our coming death help one gain a heart of wisdom?
Feeling life deeply
- Have you had someone close to you pass away? Think about how you felt about it? Did it seem right? Wrong? Painful? Why?
- Are there any relationships you need to focus on before death visits?
Living with courage
- People talk about “bucket lists” and doing stuff before they die. Usually such lists have to do with doing fun stuff in this life. Let it be known that we are a big fan of the fun stuff. But do we think eternity will be better than these things? What will ultimately matter when you face the day of death? When you meet God face to face in eternity? Are these things on your "bucket list"