Family and Haters
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Mark 3:20–3:35
On the Structure of Mark
The Fam: What’s that boy doing? (Verses 20, 21)
Haters are Gonna Hate (Verses 22-30)
A Dumb-Dumb Accusation
The Strong Man (Isaiah 49:24-26)
True Family (Verses 31-35)
The Strong Man
Community Meditation Questions
Growing in knowledge
- Was Jesus’ family supportive of the way he was pursuing his calling? Describe what they were they doing in verses 20, 21 and 31-35. Do you think they thought they were being helpful to Jesus? Why or Why not?
- Allegiance to one’s family was of the highest value in Jesus day. Read Deuteronomy 6:1-9, Ephesians 5:22-6:4. In what ways would the Bible affirm a high commitment and love for our families? In what ways is Jesus showing us that there is a still a higher allegiance?
- Why are the scribe’s claims that Jesus “is possessed by Beelzebul,” and “by the prince of demons he casts out the demons” such ridiculous ideas? In light of this accusation, why does Mark lead us to a warning about an eternal sin?
Feeling life deeply
- Has your family been a source of strength/joy or pain/drama? Or Both? In what ways?
- In what ways have you seen “Jesus’ family” be an important aspect of your life?
- In the past, have you seen the church more as “Jesus’ family living out his mission” or “an optional club I participate in to receive religious goods and services”?
Living with courage
- How might our personal families question or challenge our commitment to following Jesus? How could our families be helpful to this?
More in Passion - The Gospel of Mark
August 26, 2012Death by Love, Resurrection by Grace, Unleashing the Kingdom
August 19, 2012Truth and Power
August 12, 2012His Last Days - Pt. II