The Surprising Kingdom
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Mark 4:21–4:34
Review and Introduction
Describing the Mystery
The King Lights the World (Verses 21)
John 1:4,5; John 8:12; Revelation 21:23
The King Cannot be Ignored (Verses 22-25)
The Kingdom is Always Flowing (Verses 26-29)
The Kingdom will Shock the World (Verses 30-32)
Through Kingdom People (Verses 33, 34)
The Final Surprise
Deposit — Growth — Unimaginable
The Big Reveal
Community Meditation Questions
Growing in knowledge
- Jesus says of himself in John 8:12 “I am the light of the world.” In Matthew 5:14 he says to his followers, “You are the light of the world.” In Mark 4:21 a lamp (Jesus) is put on a stand to give light. In Matthew 5:15 a light goes on a stand which is again related to Jesus’ followers. How should we relate these two truths theologically?
- How does Jesus’ teaching about the end result of the SEED-GROWTH process give you hope about the future?
Feeling life deeply
- Do ever feel like life and your spiritual growth is not developing fast enough? If patience is a virtue and fruit of the Holy Spirit (See Galatians 5:22, 23) what can we say of our impatience? Read James 5:7-11 and the metaphor of the patient farmer. How should this see our growth in Him and the coming of his Kingdom? How does urgency and patience shape our sharing of the gospel with others?
Living with courage
- Our society values instant gratification. We want stuff now and we quit on stuff easily early on in the game. How have you noticed this in your life?
- Perseverance is a biblical virtue where we stay faithful over time. In what ways do you need to “stick with things” in your life? At work? In following Christ?
More in Passion - The Gospel of Mark
August 26, 2012Death by Love, Resurrection by Grace, Unleashing the Kingdom
August 19, 2012Truth and Power
August 12, 2012His Last Days - Pt. II