Heartfelt Response to the King
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Mark 12:35–12:44
Passion, Love and The Heart
What we do matters James 2:14-17
Why we do what we do matters even more
Clarity of Identity (v35-37)
Son of David? Yes and More
Beware of Heartless Hypocrisy (v38-40)
They Like it A-LOT
1 Timothy 6:3-10
Heart Response to the King (v41-44)
13 Paint Buckets
Out of Abundance
1 Samuel 16:7
Passionate Following: How do we know?
Growing in Knowledge
- What is the difference between being a sinner in need of grace and rampant hypocrisy among Christ’s followers?
- Read James 2 and discuss the relationship of faith, action and the heart/motives for good works.
Feeling Life Deeply
- There are two times in this section that Jesus speaks of “widows.” The Bible teaches us that pure and undefiled faith leads to caring for widows and orphans in their distress (James 1:27). What are some modern day “widows”? How are we helping?
- What feelings are provoked in you when you read the story of the rich and poor giving here in Mark 12? Do you like the idea of God knowing your own heart? Do you find this Troubling? Humbling? Hopeful?
Living with Courage
- Generosity is always a heart issue. Jesus said very clearly “Where you treasure is, there your heart will be also” and “you cannot serve/worship God and money” (Read all of Matthew 6). Take the temperature of your own generosity? Do you rejoice in giving?
More in Passion - The Gospel of Mark
August 26, 2012Death by Love, Resurrection by Grace, Unleashing the Kingdom
August 19, 2012Truth and Power
August 12, 2012His Last Days - Pt. II