Faithfulness and Faithlessness
Topic: Biblical Scripture: Exodus 13–19
INTRO & RECAP
- Covenant Faithfulness: The Cause & Effect of the Exodus
- Cause - Exod. 2:24
- Effect - Exod. 3:12,4:23, 7:16, 8:1, 8:20, 9:1, 9:13, 10:3
EXOD. 13-19: YHWH'S FAITHFULNESS & ISRAEL'S FAITHLESSNESS
- Do This in Remembrance
- Seaside Singing or Wilderness Grumbling?
- pillar of cloud, fire, Red Sea, Israel's "creation" The Song of the Sea
- pillar of cloud, fire, Red Sea fear, anger
- sweet water grumbling
- manna grumbling
- water from rock quarrelling, grumbling
- victory in battle, leaders, Moses rejection, grumbling
- Sinai covenant idolatry, Israel’s “fall”
- Fad Diets & Failed Resolutions
- Deut 32:4-5
THE NEW EXODUS AND THE FAITHFUL SONS OF GOD
- Remember, Sing...AND SERVE!
- Phil. 2 (2:14-15)
- Rom. 5-8 (8:15)
COMMUNITY MEDITATION QUESTIONS
- Growing in Knowledge
- What repeated cry leads up to the Exodus? “Let __ _____ ______________!” Cite texts and fill in the blanks with as many words as necessary (Note: your answer reveals your understanding of the cause and effect of the Exodus).
- Discuss Israel’s response to YHWH’s provisions. Do they sing praises or grumble? Then, read Exod. 13-19 and Deut. 32:5 alongside Phil. 2:14-15 and Rom. 8:15 to see how Paul compares Israel to Christ and his followers.
- Feeling Life Deeply
- Prior to today, how did you think and feel about Israel’s constant grumbling and complaining? Have your thoughts and feelings changed?
- Living with Courage
- How have you responded to God’s cosmic (Gospel, Christ, Spirit) and “common” provisions (food, shelter, clothing, employment, people, leaders)? Pick one area to respond faithfully this semester. Be specific.
- At Jacob’s Well, missional communities (MCs) are the principal context for faithful response to God. Use your upcoming MC meeting to do an honest evaluation of your MC. Celebrate, encourage, exhort, and repent together. Once again, be specific.