Law and Liberty - The Book of Leviticus
Topic: Biblical Scripture: Leviticus 20:22–20:26
The Name of the Book
Liberty and Freedom
Views of Freedom
The Law in Leviticus
Living out the Covenant in Hostile Territory
All of Life under God
Clean, Unclean, Holy
Sex, Shrimp and the Barber Shop?
Where the Law takes Us
Take us to School
Growing in Knowledge
- In the Bible each of God’s laws has a principle and practice associated with it. With some Old Testament laws the principle had a certain practice that we no longer are bound by in Christ? Why? Why don’t we offer sacrifices, have freedom with our diet etc? Discuss.
- Look together at the 10 commandments and look for the principle involved with each. What is God saying to us about himself, about us, about sin? Then discuss various practices that would be obedient or disobedient to that principle to provide a few modern day examples. Do you see any of the ten words where the principle and practice are essentially one and the same?
Feeling Life Deeply
- How much do we care about holiness? Living our lives in such a way that it is “set apart” by knowing and following Jesus?
- In what ways can people see holiness in a negative light? What’s the different between legalism and holiness? Do you see “holiness” as “freedom?” Why or why not?
Living with Courage
- Leviticus teaches us that all of life is under the rule and reign of God. What is out of whack in your walk with him? What areas have you let wander from his rule? Where are you neglecting obedience and holiness?