May 5, 2013
Home Training - Discipline and Instruction
Introduction & Review
The Wild Ride of Parenting
WARNING! Colossians 3:21
Winning Hearts and Hands
The Paidea of God
The Purpose of Discipline
Purpose #1 - It yields a harvest of righteousness
Proverbs 13:24, 22:15, 23:13, 14
Purpose #2 - To establish authority so instruction is possible
- Â„About GOD
- Â„About LIFE
Simple, Foolish, Wise
Community Meditation Questions
Growing in Knowledge
- Why do you think Ephesians 6:4 specifically addresses Fathers about not provoking their children to wrath?
- Discuss the relationship between our understanding of God's discipline, and our parents discipline of us? Read and review Hebrews 12:1-11 as necessary.
- Discuss the difference between the discipline of God and judgment of God. How can you apply insights from this to parenting?
Feeling Life Deeply
- Have any of you experienced a difficult relationship with your parents growing up? How about now? Why do you think it is so difficult? Are you aware of your parents humanity?
- How can the gospel practically address that relationship?
Living with Courage
- Parents, do you feel your home lacks discipline or instruction? Or both? Write down three practical steps in each area where you can repent and trust God for a new story and your family.
- Do your kids know your humanity? That you are wrong at times and sin? Do you ever repent with your family? Ask for their forgiveness and mercy?
- Mom and Dad, do you authentically need God as you live among your family?
other sermons in this series