Home Team Training - Family Discipleship
Topic: Topical Scripture: Deuteronomy 6:4–6:9
Introduction & Review
Teach Them Diligently
Context of the Calling
Commands from God
Locus of Discipleship
Times of Opportunity
Historical Hours of Prayer
Morning, Noon, Evening
Opportune Times in 21st Century NJ
Morning, Dinner Time, and Bed Time
Win 2 of 3
Colossians 1:28, 29
Growing in Knowledge
- There is a pattern in the Bible of prayer/worship being offered “morning, noon and evening.” Where do we observe this pattern emerging in the OT? (Hint: eXL) Which people in the Bible were mentioned as practicing such a pattern?
- Though not commanded of us, how might this practice be helpful in shaping the spiritual climate of our homes?
Feeling Life Deeply
- How do you feel about discipling your kids? Do you feel inadequate? Not knowledgeable enough? Don’t know how? How can you address these obstacles?
- How can laziness and drift effect how you teach and interact with your kids? Have you noticed that spiritual leadership takes spiritual energy? How are you personally connecting with God so you might have something to give?
Living with Courage
- What steps can you make today to shape the discipleship culture of your home team? How do you need to adjust your schedule and family rhythms?
- Why is it “never too young to start” teaching and encouraging your kids in the gospel? What risks are there for young parents in waiting too long?
- Our church teaches the Bible. A great exercise for parents and MCs is to simply translate our Sunday teaching and biblical passages into metaphors and concepts for teaching to your kids. Give it a try.