Our Flow, Loved and Chosen
Topic: Exposition Scripture: 1 Thessalonians 1:1–1:5
Introduction & Review
The Narrative of Mission (Acts 17:1-7)
The Macedonian Mission (Acts 16)
The City of Thessalonica (Verse 1)
Sabbath Preaching (Verses 2, 3)
- Christ to Suffer and Rise
- The Story of Jesus
- This Guy, is that Guy
Fruit of the Gospel (Verse 4)
Sanctified Trouble Making (Verses 5-7)
A Reason to Write
Greetings to the Young Church (1 Thessalonians 1:1-5)
A Great Letter of Friendship (Verse 1)
Faith, Love and Hope (Verses 2,3)
Loved and Chosen (Verses 4,5)
Growing in Knowledge
- The early church was birthed with opposition. Jesus was killed (but raised!) the church was being persecuted and people were running the apostles out of town. What made them keep pushing forward with passion and zeal?
- Talk about faith, hope and love. Are these attributes or virtues of the soul? Or are they actions of the soul? How does the apostle relate these terms to what God was doing in and through the Thessalonian church. How can faith, hope and love give impetus to our mission now?
Feeling Life Deeply
- Discuss how the terms “loved by God” and “chosen” make you guys feel? Discuss the difference between “believing” these things and intimately knowing them. What difference does it make to your identity to know these wonderful truths.
Living with Courage
- The gospel came to the people in Thessalonica with the power of the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction. We just celebrated baptisms at Jacob’s Well. Who will you begin praying for by name and speaking to about Jesus this year?