Our Flow - Identity and Destiny
Topic: Exposition Scripture: 1 Thessalonians 5:1–5:11
Facing the Future
Times and Seasons (verses 1-3)
Identity (verses 4-8)
Couplets of Clarity
- Darkness and Light
- Night and Day
- Sleep and Awake
- Drunk and Sober
Suited up in Faith, Love and Hope (verse 8)
Destiny’s Children (verses 9-11)
Children of Wrath?
Children of God?
John 1:9-12; 1 John 3:1-3
Community Meditation Questions
Growing in Knowledge
- Read 2 Peter 3:1-13. Why do you think we often lose sight of the coming judgment of God? What is the reason given that Jesus’ return is still in the future? What do you notice in verse 13 about the final state of affairs after Jesus returns?
- There are some vivid images (thief in the night, sudden labor pains) in our passage today about God’s just wrath and judgment of sin and sinners. What do these images teach us?
Feeling Life Deeply
- Do we concern ourselves with the final judgment of God? Is there a tension between the joyful hope of Jesus’ coming and sober concern for those who are lost and currently separated from God?
- How can our concern for others translate into practical actions?
Living with Courage
- Paul again stresses encouragement in light of the truth of who we are and our destiny. Who can you build up others in your MC? On a Sunday team? At work? In your family?
- Husbands, are you an encourager to your wives? Wives, how are you building up your husbands. Friends, how are you fighting for each other’s joy and encouragement in the Lord?