Our Flow in Light of His Coming
Topic: Exposition Scripture: 1 Thessalonians 5:13–5:28
Introduction & Review
#StrongAssurance (1 Thess. 5:23-24)
Too Many Notes? (5:23)
- “God of peace”
- “sanctify you completely”
- “may your whole — spirit, soul, and body — “
- “be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ”
God’s Continuous Calling (5:24)
#StrongExhortation (1 Thess. 5:25-28)
Our Continuous Calling (5:25-27)
- “under oath before the Lord”
Well-Placed Grace (5:28)
- More than Grace in the Gaps
Growing in Knowledge
- We coupled ongoing assurance and ongoing exhortation. Rather than contradicting each other, give greater discussion to how these two work together to bless faithful followers of Jesus.
Feeling Life Deeply
- What brings us deep comfort and assurance (friends, family, school, work)?
- The Thessalonians experience fear despite their faithfulness towards God, his people, and mission. In our lives, what kinds of fears persist in spite of obedience? Just as Paul comes up with specific language for their particular fears, spend some time looking for how particular language about God can bring comfort amidst our particular fears.
Living with Courage
- Paul’s desire for this community leads his exhortations to be as strong as his assurance. Review our core identities with your family, MC, etc. and relate them to specific, strong, and practical exhortations .