Build in Trials and Temptations
Topic: Exposition Scripture: James 1:12–1:18
Hearing, Doing, Building
Build: In Trials and Temptation (James 1;12-18)
Landing in a Ditch
Distracted from the Plan
Remain Steadfast (verse 12)
Battles in the Now
The Source of Temptation (verses 13-15)
Our own desires?
The birthing of death
The Source of True Good (verses 16-18)
The Good Giver
Community Meditation Questions
- Read 1 Corinthians 10:13, Psalm 119:9-11, Romans 12:1,2 together. Why is a renewed mind and a worshipping heart key to saying no to temptation? Why is saying “Yes” to some desires key to saying “No” to others?
- Why did James tell us “every good and perfect gift is from God” right after talking about temptation, sin and death?
- What are your major areas of temptation to sin? What issues of love/worship do these reveal in your heart? What is truly first in your heart?
- Do you think your relationship with God and his calling on your life is better than the offers of sin? What do we learn from Moses example in Hebrews 11:24, 25?
- Why is it easy to blame God or the Devil when we are tempted? Why is it hard to examine our own hearts and desires? In what ways can we be victims to our own foolishness?