Build on Repentance
Topic: Exposition Scripture: James 4:1–4:10
Build on Repentance and Faith
What’s the Problem? (Verse 1)
Drama, Drama everywhere
Problem #1 - Heart Disease (Verses 2,3)
Desire —> Murder
Matthew 5:21, 22
Covet —> Fight and Quarrel
Ask! With Proper Motives
Problem #2 - Adultery (Verses 4, 5)
Friendship with “World” = Hate God
Getting Rebellion Right
Which Team? (Verses 6,7)
He Giveth Grace
God > Devil
Repentance and Exaltation (Verses 8-10)
- Read 1 John 2:15, 16 - Discuss ways in which Christians can become “friends with the world” or “love the world”?
- How can we be friends with people but not become friends with the “world”?
- Why are God’s promises of “his nearness” and his “exaltation of us” worth our repentance and efforts to follow Jesus?
- How do you feel when your beliefs and/or lifestyle are not in the mainstream with the rest of society? How can fear, desire to be liked, fit in etc. cause us to be unfaithful in our lives and doctrine?
- Should we experience fear and anxiety in relationship to the devil? Read James 4:7, Jude 8-10, 1 John 4:1-6 (v4).
- Cleansing of our hands and the purification of our hearts is the work of Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross for us. If these are gifts of grace why is James commanding us to do these things?
- In what ways are we living proudly and worldly? What does repentance and humbling yourself look like?