Build - Let God be Judge
Topic: Exposition Scripture: James 4:11–4:12
Build : Let God be Judge
Speak no Evil (Verse 11a)
Genres of Speaking Evil
- __________ Exodus 20:16, Deut 5:20, Proverbs 6:16-19, Matthew 5:19
- __________ Ephesians 4:31
- __________ Proverbs 11:9–11
- __________ Proverbs 20:19
Trading Places? (Verses 11b)
The Royal Law Revisited
James 2:8, Leviticus 19:15-18
Judging the Law
God in the Dock?
Let God be Judge (Verses 12)
God is able to save
God is able to destroy
Who are you to judge?
Read the narrative of Abraham pleading with God about the city of Sodom in Genesis 18. What do you make of the question in verse 25. What is Abraham assuming?
Read Psalm 96:11-13. What is the tone surrounding God’s judgment? Why so?
- A recent survey of young people* showed 87% see Christianity as judgmental? Does that feel fair? Unfair? How is being judgmental different that making moral judgments?*http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/2007-10-10-christians-young_N.htm
- Can you hold and feel deep moral convictions, yet still show grace to others?
- Where are you speaking evil to others? Slandering people? Gossip? Hurting people with your words? What do you need to confess and bring into the light? How would those closest to you answer that question?
- Where have you assumed God’s throne of judgment in relationship to others? How and where can you choose to show grace?