Build in Humility and Trust
Topic: Exposition Scripture: James 4:13–4:17
Hearing, Doing, Building
Viewing “the future”
Build In Humility and Trust
C’Mon Man (Verse 13)
Making Plans? Luke 14:27-33
Pencil vs. Ink
- Short term VISION vs. OMNISCIENCE
Psalm 147:5; Isaiah 55:9, 1 John 3:19,20
- Short term DURATION vs. ETERNAL GOD
What is your life?
Proper Posture (Verses 15,16)
Proper Perspective (Verse 17)
Sins of OMISSION
- Read together all of Psalm 90. List together or on a whiteboard everything said about the nature of God. List everything about human beings?
- The passage tells us there is something we need to be taught? What is it? What does that phrase mean?
- How does the Psalm end? What is their prayer? How does planning relate to this?
- When you realize God’s plan is in ink and ours in in pencil, how does that make you feel? Do you think your plans matter more or less in light of the God’s sovereignty (God being the highest authority and his in-control-ness)
- Are their ways in which you have lived as if God’s will didn’t matter to you?
- James 4:15 says we ought to say “If it’s the Lord’s will we will do this or that.” Read Proverbs 15:22 and Acts 13:1-3. How do we as Christians seek to discern God’s will?
- How do prayer, fasting and community weigh into our decisions?