The King's Speech - An Introduction
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Matthew 4:18–5:2
The Power of Words
SETTING THE SCENE
Scene 1â€”The Kingâ€™s Roots
Matthew 1:1, 17
Scene 2â€”The Kingâ€™s Birth
Scene 3â€”Opposing Kings
Scene 4â€”Godâ€™s King
Scene 5â€”The kingâ€™s Temptation
Scene 6â€”The Kingâ€™s Calling
Scene 7â€”the Kingâ€™s speech
Matthew 5:1, 2
- Why is it good to read the gospels casually as a story yet also closely as theology?
- Discuss why Matthew â€œsets the sceneâ€ so deliberately in leading up to the Sermon on the Mount?
- Why is it important to maintain a tight connection in our understanding of Jesusâ€™s identity with his words/teaching?
- How do you feel about the call to establish your life based upon the words and teachings of someone else? Easy to do? Hard?
- Why do you listen to the counsel and advice of certain people and not others? What do you need to know before you heed someoneâ€™s words?
- Read Hebrews 10:19-30. We are called into a beautiful relationship which then calls us forward in a new life together. Our call is forward.
- â€œBut we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.â€