Topic: Exposition Scripture: Matthew 5:13–5:16
Words and speeches
Blessed for what?
YOU ARE—MATTHEW 5:13-16
Jesus the poetic teacher
The Salt of the earth
Exodus 30:35, Mark 9:50
Influence in the world
Faithful in God’s Purposes
The Light of the world
Cities and Lamps
In the Same Way
OUR LIGHT AND THE GLORY OF CHRIST
Jesus, Bright Shining Sun
John 1:1-5, 9; John 8:12, Colossians 1:27; John 15:1-5
Living by Faith as God’s Blessed People
- Do you feel like you ARE the light of the world? How are you currently facing or dealing with your own darkness?
- Do you tend to live like the moon trying to generate its own light? Why does this lead to frustration?
- Read Isaiah 49:1-6. What is God’s purpose and method of bringing his salvation to the ends of the earth? Did God’s people fulfill this purpose in the Old Testament? Read John 8:12-20. Discuss how Jesus fulfills God’s purposes of being the light of the world? Theologically reflect on the relationship of OT Israel, Jesus the Son of God and all Christians as his Kingdom People.
- How might we succeed in being faithful sons and daughters of God whereas so many in the Scriptures fall so short?
- How are you connecting to the light of Christ on a day to day basis? Discuss your practice of reading and meditation on the Scriptures?
- Are you living in a light-less world day to day? How can you connect with God’s people for gracious accountability to seek the Lord.
- Read 1 John 1. What practices do you see here that will help you walk in the light of Christ?