It's the Law
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Matthew 5:17–5:20
Words and speeches
Salt and light
IT’S THE LAW—MATTHEW 5:17-20
Rules, rules, rules
Fulfill not abolish (verse 17)
Matthew 22:37-40; Matthew 7:12
Not abolish, but accomplish (verse 18)
Heart matters (verses 19,20)
Out Pharisee a Pharisee?
OUR RESPONSE TO JESUS’ ETHICAL TEACHING
Is God like Training wheels?
- Share several ways that Jesus fulfills, incarnates and typologically realizes the Old Testament—see if you can list at least 10 things together.
- Why is Jesus not telling us to “out Pharisee the Pharisees” in verse 20? Read Philippians 3 and discuss.
- What makes you care to obey the ethical teachings of Messiah? Why should you care about his laws and commandments? How do “worship” and “witness” or “glory” and “good works” relate?
- Jesus is not content to simply change behaviors but is after the heart that controls our lives. Why is this distinction important?
- Have someone read all of Matthew 5:21-48 out loud. How do you feel when you hear Jesus’ words? Encouraged, Discouraged, Challenged, Hopeful, Helpless?
- Is your relationship with Jesus only about you and him? How does your obedience to him in community reflect our calling as salt and light in the world?
- Discuss the following statement: Our relationship with Jesus is always more than sheer obedience but it is never less. A grace driven community of obedience always adorns the gospel.