Topic: Exposition Scripture: Matthew 5:27–5:30
The Kings Speech for the King’s Family
Sex gone wild
LUSTFUL INTENTIONS—MATTHEW 5:27-30
Heart adultery (verses 27,28)
1 John 2:15-17, James 1:14, 15
Real talk from Jesus (verses 29,30)
OUR DEEPEST HOPES
New desires and The Liberation of Lusts
- Discuss the role of “desire” or “lusts” in our lives? Is desire all good? All bad? How so?
- Read the story of David and Bathsheba in 2 Samuel 11, 12. What does lust in the heart lead to? How does unchecked lust in the family of God distort his purposes for the church?
- God in his wisdom established marriage as a metaphor for his relationship to his people. Discuss how “adultery” “unfaithfulness” are relevant in both our relationships with people and our relationship to God.
- Does it feel like overkill for Jesus to use such strong hyperbole to talk about our address of sin in our hearts and lives?
- How do you feel about Jesus’ strong warnings about the consequences for sin? Why should we take his warnings about judgment seriously?
- In what ways have you entertained and petted the caged wild animals of lust?
- What sort of lusts seek to master you? Greed? Sensuality? Power? Discuss what repentance and faith looks like in your life around your specific temptation and struggle.