Swearing and Oaths
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Matthew 5:33–5:37
The Kings Speech so far
NO LOOPHOLES - FINGERS CROSSED OR NOT (V.V. 33-36)
MY WORD IS MY BOND (V.V. 34-37A)
THE EVIL OF AN OATH (V. 37B)
- Look up the following passages and discuss what the Scriptures say about a person's word and taking oaths (Leviticus 19:12, Deuteronomy 23:21, Hebrews 6).
- How do these examples, specifically Hebrews 6, differ from what Jesus was combating in Matthew 5.
- What is it about lying and the breaking of promises that hurt people so much? Why are these things so difficult to deal with?
- Recall a time when you experienced someone breaking their word to you. How did it feel? What did it do to the relationship?
- Are there promises that you have broken? Are their people you need to apologize to for breaking your word? If so, how can you make this right?