December 14, 2014
INTRODUCTION AND REVIEW
The Kings Speech so far
EVIL FOR EVIL (V38, 39A)
You have heard it was said
Exodus 21:23-25; Deuteronomy 19:20,21
THREE CASES (39B-41)
Turn the other cheek
Tunics and cloaks
Going the extra mile
PROACTIVE GENEROSITY (V42)
Proverbs 11:24, 25; Matthew 10:18
1 Peter 2:22-25; Hebrews 12:14,15; Romans 12:14-21
- Why would both pacifists (those who support no Christian violence, participation in the military, using force in self defense, by police etc.) and those who see a just use of force in a limited set of circumstances, need to listen to one another?
- Read Romans 12:14-13:7. What happens when the “state” does evil? What do we do if the justice system is unjust?
- What is the tension for Christians in the military and who serve as police officers? Those serving in government?
- Do you feel like Jesus is asking us to be everyone’s punk on a personal level? Is it “weakness” to not resist the one who is evil...to not return evil for evil?
- Jesus exhorts his followers to not engage is retaliation but to resist the ways of the world by loving evil doers in return. In what circumstances can you apply this in your life? Where specifically do you need to engage in acts of grace in the face of wrong doing?
other sermons in this series