The Rewards of Secrecy
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Matthew 6:1–6:4
REVIEW & PREVIEW
The Kings Speech Overview
THE DEMAND FOR PERFECTION
RELIGIOUS HYPOCRISY (6:1-18)
Three (3) forms of hypocrisy:
ALMS [GIVING] (6:2-4)
3 P’S: __________, __________, __________
“DON’T LET YOUR LEFT HAND KNOW WHAT YOUR RIGHT HAND IS DOING…”
“AND YOUR FATHER WHO SEES IN SECRET WILL REWARD YOU [OPENLY]” (6:4)
A. El Roi- The God Who _____________
B. God notices what His children do and is faithful to respond to it. (6:4, 8,18,33)
C. How should we give?
- Where in your life do you find it hardest not to live for other people’s approval?
- Identify a time when you received applause from people but not from God…a time when you received applause from God but not from people. Is there ever a time when both of these things can co-exist? Why or why?
- What does Jesus mean when He says, “I assure you: they’ve got their reward!” What is the reward that they receive? Is this reward good or bad? Why or why not?
- Read Mark 12:41-44. How would God describe your giving? Do you find yourself giving more often out of your surplus or out of your poverty? Why?
- Compare and contrast Matthew 5:16 and Matthew 6:1. How are they talking about the same thing? How are they different talking about different things?
- Is it easier or harder to give in secret knowing that God is an omniscient (all knowing) God?
- Is there any area in your life that you are being a hypocrite? If so how? Why?