Topic: Exposition Scripture: Matthew 6:19–6:24
REVIEW AND INTRODUCTION
LAYING UP—6:19, 20
DO NOT lay up treasures on earth
Clues to the Best Treasure?
Lay Up Treasures in Heaven
THE HEART FOLLOWS THE TREASURE— 6:21-23
Proverbs 23:6, 7
X MARKS THE WHAT?
Community Meditation Questions
- Read Ecclesiastes 1 and 2 followed by 2 Corinthians 4:16-18. Why do we care so much about transient things? How can things of this world be useful and good? How can they be dangerous to the soul?
- The heart follows a treasure map. Discuss what Jesus means in Matthew 6:21. Where do you want your heart and life to go?
- Jesus uses exclusive language in saying “you cannot” serve both God and Money. Can’t you serve them both a little bit? Don’t people do that?
- Jesus uses a word for being a bond slave to someone to describe “serving” the master of God or money. How can you never be “just a little bit a slave.”
- How are we laying up treasure in heaven? How are you using things to serve the purposes of God and to love others?
- Are you being strategic in how you can be a blessing to others? Or just taking care of your stuff and using your strategic energy only for you and yours?