Samson 1 - Set Apart For God
July 19, 2015 Speaker: Reid S. Monaghan Series: Judges: Partial Victories & the Faithfulness of God
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Judges 13–15
The Spirit of the Lord
Set Apart by God
BACKSTORY OF A PURPOSED BIRTH
Rebellion and Retribution, 13:1
A Set-Apart Savior, 13:2-5
Meet the Parents, 13:6-24
The Spirit Stirring, 13:25
Samson or God?, 14:1-4
God is doing something, Samson doing something else
In a Vineyard, 14:5-7
With the Unclean, 14:8-11
The Riddler, 14:12-20
Deliverance through Samson, Judges 15
They didn’t know
Salvation is of the Lord
- Did Samson always act aware that he was set part and called to live out a mission from God? Did his unfaithfulness, erase God’s faithfulness?
- Notice all the secrets in this passage. The reader is granted information that the people living the story simply do not see. How is this like life?
- Discuss the following statement; God can work in, through and despite of the flawed actions of sinful people. Agree? Disagree? Troubling? Encouraging?
- How does it make you feel to know God is at work in ways we may not immediately perceive. Does this frustrate you?
- What must we know in addition to the circumstances happening in our lives? About God? About ourselves? Let us confess together that we are not God.
- Samson seemed unaware of his calling at points in his life. How could he forget? What do we forget?
- How can our own temptations, sins and weakness rob us in our spiritual life.
- Read 2 Timothy 2:8-21. Discuss the importance of God’s faithful calling and then our faithful obedience. If we are set apart by God, in what ways should we live?