Disciple: Bring on the Servants
Topic: Exposition Scripture: 1 Timothy 3:8–3:13
Matthew 23:11, 11:11
Servants are like Jesus
Isaiah 42:1-9, 53:10-12
Mark 10:42-45; Philippians 2:1-11
Office vs Calling/Role
THE DEACON TRADITION
Acts 6—Deacons as Shock Absorbers
An Identified Role for People
Philippians 1:1, 1 Timothy 3:8-13
Elders serve the church by leading and Deacons lead the church by serving
BRING ON THE SERVANTS
Likewise (verse 8)
The Household —> Household of God
The Mystery of the Faith (verse 9)
Tested First (Verse 10)
The Women (Verse 11)
Serve Well, Stand Well (Verses 12, 13)
- How is the role of a servant central to the work that Jesus himself did on behalf of people?
- Read John 13 and the story of Jesus in the upper room. Why does Peter object to Jesus washing his feet? What changes his mind?
- Have you ever considered serving as a way of leading others?
- Do you feel like if you serve others you will be taken advantage of? What’s the solution to this?
- Do you need to set limits on how much your serve? How would you go about doing this?
- What keeps you from serving others in practical ways?
- Are you serving within your Missional Community? In what ways? Are you currently serving on a Sunday team at Jacob’s Well
- How can your passions help you identify places you might serve in our community?