Disciple: Hitting the Gym
Topic: Exposition Scripture: 1 Timothy 4:6–4:10
THE TRAINING REVOLUTION
A GOOD SERVANT...
Puts truth before the people of God
Is trained in the words of the faith
Is trained in good doctrine
Avoids irreverent and silly myths
Is trained for godliness
TRAINING IS ESSENTIAL, BUT NOT EASY
Training the body
Training for godliness
- In what ways do you think spiritual training has “value in every way”? What value does spiritual training have in this life for you?
- Read 2 Timothy 4:1-8. How does Paul’s teaching to Timothy about training in 1 Timothy, relate to his teaching about finishing the race and fighting the good fight in 2 Timothy. How should we view our own lives in light of this?
- What response do you have when you realize your need to be training yourself in spiritual things? Excitement? Guilt? Confusion? Why do you think you feel that way?
- Does spiritual training, reading your bible or praying regularly feel like work? If so, what things can you do to make it more enjoyable?
- What practices can you, personally, put in place to spiritually train yourself regularly?
- How can your Missional Community help you maintain your training regiment?