Disciple: Taking Care of Family
Topic: Exposition Scripture: 1 Timothy 5:3–5:16
TAKING CARE OF FAMILY
We Are (All) Family (v. 3)
(But) Family is Family (vv. 3-6)
The Challenge of Giving (vv. 7-8)
The Motivation for Giving
1 John 3:16-18
Responsibility in Receiving (vv. 9-16)
- Read the passage aloud together. What is most surprising to you in Paul’s instructions? Why do you think Paul is so strong in distinguishing “those who are truly widows”?
- Discuss the concept of the church as family. What makes living out that reality difficult? What about that reality is exciting?
- Do you find the command to care for one’s family easy to follow? Why or why not?
- What are some appropriate motives for serving others? What are some illegitimate or dangerous motives for our generosity?
- What is one practical step you could take this week to better care for your family?
- What is one practical thing you could do to be more generous? Consider and even try to articulate your motivation for this step.