Genres of the Psalms
Topic: Topical Scripture: Psalm 1
WHAT IS GENRE, AND HOW DOES IT AFFECT OUR APPROACH TO THE PSALMS?
HOW WE WORSHIP
- Take some time this week to read through a few psalms. Choose your favorite psalm and see if you can determine which genre it falls into.
- Take that same psalm and pray through it. If it is a lament, pray for yourself or someone you know who is suffering. If it is a hymn of praise, worship and praise him for his faithfulness. If it is a thanksgiving psalm, thank God for something specific.
- Which of these genres resonate most with you? Why? How can you use these categories to help you in your worship and prayer life individually and with others?
- Read through Psalm 22, the lament that Jesus cried out from the cross. Consider the anguish of our Savior. Have you ever felt forsaken by God? Consider verses 9 and 19. How might these truths offer you hope in the midst of feeling far from God?
- Get to know the struggles, joys and excitement of those in your life. Use this sermon series and the glimpse it gives us into the hearts of God’s people to push you toward serving others in their times of need.
- In your missional communities, take some time to go through these different categories with one another honestly. Share your joys, thanksgivings and laments with each other. Pray for one another specifically.