What is Man
Topic: Topical Scripture: Psalm 8:1–8:9
What is Humanity?
The Majesty of God (vv. 1-4)
The Identity of Humanity: the Image of God (vv. 5-8)
Jesus, the Image of God
Image-Bearing as Followers of Jesus
- How would you answer the question, “What does it mean to be human”? More specifically, how would you explain human dignity (why are people important), depravity (what’s wrong with people), and destiny (what is humanity’s purpose)?
- Read 2 Corinthians 4:4, Colossians 1:15, and Hebrews 1:3. What might it mean to say that Jesus was “truly human”?
- Do you think we’re supposed to feel insignificant or significant in light of the truths of Psalm 8? Defend your answer.
- Read Romans 8:29, 2 Corinthians 3:18 and Colossians 3:9-10. The image of God is being restored in you by the work of Jesus. What responsibility do you bear in light of that reality. Be very specific. In other words, what does it specifically look like for you to obey God by serving the world?
- Now help someone you know sketch out their own journey to becoming more “truly human.” What things come to mind when you think of your friend, roommate, or spouse becoming more Christlike? Be honest yet gracious.