EXTRAORDINARY PEACE: JOHN 14:25-31
The Source of our Fear
Anxiety in a Secular Age
Peace is Given, Not Earned
God’s Faithfulness: the Authoritative Voice of Peace
Future Grace: the Fear that Overcomes All Others
DISCIPLESHIP GROUP QUESTIONS
- Read aloud the text from Sunday (John 14:25-31). Consider reading two verses each until you’re finished. What do you remember most from the teaching on Sunday? Discuss what stood out to you as you read through the passage this time.
- What is the greatest ongoing worry or fear in your life? Follow that worry to its source … Keep asking “why?” until you sense you’ve reached the root of your fear. Help each other in this process.
- How does God’s faithfulness in the past (remember!) and promise of future grace (joy set before us!) address the specific root fear you’ve just identified? Be as specific as possible (where has God specifically been faithful in your story? What specific things in the character of God are you forgetting?, etc.). Again, help one another as you answer.
- What might it look like to wage war against fear and anxiety in your own life? What practical steps could you take this week to receive the peace Jesus offers?
- Read Philippians 4:4-7 and Matthew 6:25-34. What is similar in these passages to what we’ve discussed from John? What do these passages add to the discussion?