The True Vine and Our Joy
October 23, 2016 Speaker: Scott C. Jones Series: Parting Words
Topic: Exposition Scripture: John 15:1–11
Resumè vs. Eulogy Virtues
Principle of Decay
THE TRUE VINE AND OUR JOY: JOHN 15:1-11
Why Change is Possible
The True Vine
How Change Happens
DISCIPLESHIP GROUP QUESTIONS
- Read aloud the text from Sunday (John 15:1-11). Consider reading two verses each until you’re finished. What do you remember most from the teaching? Discuss what stood out to you as you read through the passage this time.
- Of those you’re closest to (family and friends), who is the person you’ve seen change most (for the better) over time? What was the source and/or process of that change?
- On Sunday we mentioned the difference between resumè virtues and eulogy virtues. What are the eulogy virtues you most aspire to have characterize you?
- Have you ever been through a “season of pruning”? What was that like and what change did God produce in you through that time?
- Do you feel you’re in a season of pruning now? How so? How might God be seeking to shape you?
- What does abiding in the words and love of Jesus look like for you personally? What activities connect you to the Vine and what activities are the greatest hindrance to your abiding?
- Pray for the strength, intentionality, energy, etc to pursue the life-giving, abiding activities, while laying aside distractions. Give each other counsel on the “how to” of this process.
The True Vine from Jacobs Well on Vimeo.
More in Parting Words
November 20, 2016I Have Overcome the World
November 13, 2016The Great Reversal
November 6, 2016The Promise of the Helper