Love, When the World Hates
Topic: Exposition Scripture: John 15:12– 16:4
Corrupt Systems: Conform or Be Crushed
LOVE, WHEN THE WORLD HATES: JOHN 15:12-16:4
Defining the World
The Power to NOT Conform and (POSSIBLY) be Crushed
Friendship with Jesus
Loving One Another
DISCIPLESHIP GROUP QUESTIONS
- Read aloud the text from Sunday (John 15:12-16:4). Consider reading four verses each until you’re finished. What do you remember most from the teaching? Discuss what stood out to you as you read through the passage this time.
- On Sunday, we defined the world as a system of dehumanization and brokenness inherent in all human societies … rather than defining the world in an us/them kind of way. Did you find that helpful? Why or why not?
- In what area of your life or among what group of people are you most frequently tempted to conform? What from this week’s teaching did you find most helpful in giving you fresh courage in that struggle?
- Why do you think it’s so important for Jesus’ followers to love one another in light of the potential opposition we will face from the world? Put another way, why is community necessary?
- What might it practically look like for us to better encourage each other and love one another in our engagement with the world? How can we help each other 1) avoid conformity, 2) embrace potential marginalization and 3)deepen our thoughtful engagement with the world? Consider all three as you brainstorm steps forward.
- Pray for the power to pursue these things.