The Promise of the Helper
Topic: Exposition Scripture: John 16:4–16:15
Corrupt Systems: Conform or be Crushed
How should we respond?
Psalm 13: Fact vs. Truth
THE PROMISE OF THE HELPER: JOHN 16:4B-15
The Wisdom of Jesus
Sorrow filled their hearts (v.6)
The Work of the Spirit
His Relationship (v.7)
His Role (v.8-11)
His Responsibility (v.12-15)
The Wonder of Jesus
None of you ask me (v.4-5)
DISCIPLESHIP GROUP QUESTIONS
- Read aloud the text from Sunday (John 16:4b-15). Consider reading four verses each until you’re finished. What do you remember most from the teaching? Discuss what stood out to you as you read through the passage this time.
- During the sermon, it was said “when giving the Helper, Jesus gave us His best”. Is there any area of your life where you might feel like God is withholding His best from you? If so, explain. Take the time to pray over each other’s needs.
- Have you ever been especially aware of the Holy Spirit’s empowering in a specific situation? (This could have been while evangelizing or giving counsel to someone, Bible teaching, prayer, worship, etc.) How did you perceive the presence of the Holy Spirit at that time? What makes you more aware of His presence in your life?
- What hope should we find in Christ’s second coming? Is this event, one of hope, one of despair or indifference for you?
- What truth about God, His Word, and His good purposes for your life do you need to reclaim today?
- Do you perceive any difference in the way the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit relate? If so, explain the difference? Since Sunday, how has your thinking been challenged?
- In what way is the slogan “coexist” not compatible and even contradictory with the Christian faith?
- On Sunday, we discussed the possibility of intentionally withholding prayer from God due to our frustration with Him. Are there any prayers that you are withholding from God? In what way is God calling you to resuscitate dead prayers?