November 20, 2016
I Have Overcome the World
"I HAVE OVERCOME THE WORLD”: JOHN 16:25-33
The Naïve Faith of the Disciples
The Centrality of the Cross
The World-Changing Resurrection
A New Reality
DISCIPLESHIP GROUP QUESTIONS
- Read aloud the text from Sunday (John 16:25-33). Consider reading two verses each until you’re finished. What do you remember most from the teaching? Discuss what stood out to you as you read through the passage this time.
- Do you remember a time when you feel like you “got it”? A time when either the true cost of Christ’s sacrifice and/or the extent of your own need for a Savior was “made plain” to you? Describe that experience.
- What does it mean to you that Jesus acknowledges that this life can and often does hurt? Do you find that encouraging? Why or why not?
- In your own words, what is the significance of Jesus’ resurrection? How should the resurrection inform our thoughts, attitudes and behavior here and now? In other words, how does the fact that Jesus has “overcome the world,” empower us to “take heart.”
- Take some time to glance back over the entire Farewell Conversation (John 13-16). What will you remember most about this series? Why?
- Pray into the each person’s answer to the question above. Ask that God would continue to bear fruit in and through each person, in the particular ways they’ve been challenged and/or encouraged in this series.