December 4, 2016
Jesus: Immanuel, God With Us
Come Thou Long Expected Jesus
JESUS: IMMANUEL, GOD WITH US
Immanuel: the Old Testament Story
Fulfilled by Jesus
Patterns and Escalation
God With Us
DISCIPLESHIP GROUP QUESTIONS
- Read aloud the passages referenced on Sunday (Matthew 1:18-25 and Isaiah 7:10-17). You may also consider reading the entire story through Isaiah 8. Hearing these passages again, what stands out to you about the identity of Jesus? How does Jesus “fulfill” the story in Isaiah?
- Have you ever experienced a season of life during which God’s nearness was especially apparent to you? Describe that time.
- What does it mean to you that Jesus entered human history in the form of a baby? What is significant about that to you?
- Read James 4:1-10. What practical steps could you take during this Advent season to “draw near to God”? What’s currently crowding out relationship with God? Give each other advice on how to pursue these changes.
- Discuss together the opportunity to contribute to “Generous Christmas.” What are you excited about in this year’s initiative?
- End your time by praying for a renewed sense of gratitude and hope during this Advent season. Be specific in what that might look like for you.
other sermons in this series