Jesus: Shepherd King
Topic: Topical Scripture: Matthew 2:1–2:12, Ezekiel 34:13–34:16, 3 John 34:23–34:24
Come Thou Long Expected Jesus
JESUS: SHEPHERD KING
The Old Testament Story
- Universal King
- The Good Shepherd
Fulfilled by Jesus
- Consider the Magi
- Encountering Jesus
- Our Shepherd
DISCIPLESHIP GROUP QUESTIONS
- Read aloud the passages referenced on Sunday (Matthew 2:1-12, Micah 5:1-5 and Ezekiel 34:7-16, 23-24). Hearing these passages again, what stands out to you about the identity of Jesus? How does Jesus “fulfill” the prophecies in Micah and Ezekiel?
- What does “encountering Jesus” look like in your life? When are you especially aware of His presence? When does Jesus seem most real to you?
- In what ways is Jesus a better shepherd than the things we tend to follow (money, pleasure, comfort, power, control)? Can you illustrate this from your own experience?
- What might it look like practically for you to more regularly feast on Jesus during Advent? What rhythms/activities would most effectively feed your soul? How can you encourage one another in these things?
- Discuss together the opportunity to contribute to “Generous Christmas.” What are you excited about in this year’s initiative?
- Read Hebrews 4:14-16. End your time by praying to your Shepherd King. He is real, He can hear you, He provides for you … so go to Him with confidence!