Topic: Exposition Scripture: Isaiah 1:1–1:10, Isaiah 15:30, Isaiah 2:1–2:5
Isaiah 1:1-20; 2:1-5: Understanding sin
The Remedy for Sin
Discipleship group questions
- What is your understanding of sin? How would you define sin to someone unfamiliar with the Christian faith? Has your understanding of sin changed over time? How so?
- Take turns reading aloud the text from Sunday (Isaiah 1:1-20; 2:1-5). What do you remember most from the teaching?
- Do you find the concept of sin as a â€œself-inflicted woundâ€ helpful? How might that shed light on your experience with certain ongoing struggles in your own journey of faith?
- Find specific details from the text related to Godâ€™s disposition to sin and His people. What about the revelation of Godâ€™s heart do you find encouraging? What do you find challenging?
- Read aloud Titus 2:11-14, Matthew 5:13-16, and 1 Peter 2:6-12. What does it mean to say that God deals with both the personal and atmospheric impacts of sin? How does he remedy each of these? What responsibility does this place upon the people of God? How do the texts youâ€™ve just read shed light on this discussion?
- Before you pray, share at least one way youâ€™d like to practically respond to what youâ€™ve discussed during this time. Be specific and then lift these things before God in prayer together.