The Resurrection of Jesus
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Matthew 28:1–28:10, Matthew 28:16–28:20
The Resurrection of Jesus: Matthew 28:1-10, 16-20
Fear and Joy: The Meaning of the Resurrection
Discipleship group questions
- Read aloud the text from Sunday (Matthew 28:1-10, 16-20). What do you remember most from the teaching on Sunday? Discuss what stood out as you read through the passage this time.
- Is there anything about this past weekend that you found especially meaningful? Why so?
- Read 1 Corinthians 15:16-19. Do you entirely resonate with Paul’s argument in these verses? Why or why not? Discuss your current understanding of the meaning of the resurrection. Share ideas about why Jesus had to rise again.
- Does your reaction to the reality of Jesus’ resurrection tend more toward fear, joy or apathy? Explain your answer.
- At the end of this passage Jesus promises to always be with His people and especially in the midst of the community of His people. Have you ever experienced that promise? Put another way, when has God most powerfully used His people to make Himself known to you?
- End your time by praying as though Jesus was actually present in the room and desiring to be encountered even right now. What would you say to him, what would you ask of him, if that reality was tangible to you?