Discipleship In The Light: 1 John 2:15-17
Topic: Exposition Scripture: 1 John 2:15–2:17
Discipleship in the light: 1 John 2:15-17
Exclusive Loves (v. 15)
The World System (v. 16)
Desires of the Flesh
Desires of the Eyes
Pride of Life
How to Change (v. 17)
Discipleship Group Questions
- Read 1 John 2:15-17 aloud together. What stands out to you from this passage? What do you remember most from Sunday’s teaching?
- Discuss your initial reaction to John’s statement that loving God and loving the world are mutually exclusive. Do you find yourself tending to agree with this statement? Why or why not?
- On Sunday we discussed the dangers of inordinate pleasures (desires of the flesh), covetousness (desires of the eyes) and arrogant self-sufficiency (pride in possessions). Which of these do you find most characterizes your own struggles with the “world system”? How do these things specifically manifest themselves in your own life? Spend a good bit of your time with this question.
- Reread 1 John 2:17 aloud together. What practical guidance does this verse offer in your struggle to embrace the will of God rather than the desires of this world?
- On Sunday we discussed the difference between temporary happiness and enduring joy. Have you experienced this distinction? In what ways? How would you explain it to someone else?
- End your time by praying into the areas of struggle you’ve confessed and for God’s help in embracing His lasting joy.