Discipleship In The Light: 1 John 4:7-21
Topic: Exposition Scripture: 1 John 4:7–4:21
Discipleship in the light: 1 John 4:7-21
God’s Love ...
Makes Possible our Love for Him/Others
Perfected Love ...
Follows Christ’s Pattern
Casts out Fear
Loves the Image of God
Discipleship Group Questions
- Read 1 John 4:7-21 aloud together. What stands out to you from this passage? What do you remember most from Sunday’s teaching?
- How would you respond to the following question: “What is the relationship between God’s love for us and our love for others?”
- On Sunday we said that Christ’s sacrifice on our behalf is God’s response and resolution to our shame. In dying for us and adopting us into His family, God declares that we are fully known and fully loved. Discuss this reality … does this truth affect you by playing an active role in your story/identity? How so? If not, why not? What could you actively do to more fully and consistently engage your heart with this truth?
- On Sunday we said that God’s love perfected in us empowers us to love others according to the pattern set by Jesus. That pattern includes loving others at great expense to our own resources and reputation, initiating with others even when they haven’t loved us first, bringing life to others as defined by God and loving those who don’t deserve it. What else would you add to that list?
- Now think of your own life … who could you love more actively and in what ways could that love be patterned after Christ’s love for you? Be specific and help one another with your answers.
End your time by praying for God’s love to become more real to each of you, such that you might love others in His name