Luke 4:1-13: “IF YOU ARE THE SON OF GOD …”
Topic: Exposition Scripture: Luke 4:1–4:13
Luke 4:1-13: “If You are the Son of God …”
The Son of God should not be hungry (vv. 1-4)
Take what's yours (vv. 5-8)
Prove it (vv. 9-13)
Our participation (Hebrews 2:17-18; 4:14-16)
Discipleship Guide and Reflection Questions
- Reading this week: Luke chapters 15 and 16
- Questions for Reflection/Discussion:
- Spend time meditating on/discussing the Parable of the Lost Son (Luke 15:11-32). With whom do you most identify in the story and why? How does the image of the Father challenge your view of God? What detail(s) stand out freshly in this familiar story? Consider what it means for you to be the audience for this parable … what is Jesus trying to specifically communicate to you through this story?
- This section is filled with parables. Parables are primarily meant to make a surprising impression on listeners. Imagine listening to these stories from the mouth of Jesus for the very first time. What might have challenged you most in these evocative stories upon first hearing them? Put another way, which story “stings” a bit for you and why?
- Discuss how you’re progressing with your “Rule of Life.”
More in Luke: Encountering Jesus, The Origin Story
February 10, 2019Luke 4:1-30: "The Spirit of The Lord is upon me..."
January 6, 2019Luke 3:1-22: Preparing The Way for The Beloved Son
December 23, 2018Luke 2:22-38: Songs of Anticipation